St. James Hospital emergency room

I spent time in the St. James Hospital emergency room in Dublin today. Not to worry…it was to get a prescription for a medicine I was  about to run out of.  When I got there a nurse spoke with me about what I needed and assured me a doctor would see me. Didn’t think I needed to see one, but guess they have rules.

So Dr. Darrough Shields, who, by the way, was easy on the eyes, had the nurse take my blood pressure and temperature, and when he declared me able to continue with the medicine, he wrote out a prescription and shook my hand and told me to have fun on my journey. Before seeing the doctor  I sat down in the emergency room to wait my turn, and then observed a sign that stated there would be a four to five hour wait.

The only real emergency was a heavy set man who was lying on a few chairs. He came into the room in a wheel chair. An attendant tried to get him to sit up, but he wouldn’t budge. Finally he said, “If you just leave me alone, when they call my name, I’ll walk in. I’m not that sick.” The nurse did call him in and he stood up and walked in, just like he said he would.

I only had a twenty minute wait.

After I got the prescription, I went upstairs to the pharmacy through the hospital entrance room and lobby. I have never, ever seen such a hospital; it’s just like a city. There were cafes, restaurants, gift shops, and many fast-food places, as well. It was a most beautiful, spacious building. I wanted to trade the noisy Hostel for a stay in the hospital.

Before going to the hospital,  I finally got the directions from the Hostel reception person, after she told me she didn’t know any doctors. I decided a hospital would be the place to help me. I got on the tram just in time. A man saw me racing to the door, and when the door started to close, he opened it with his heel. It reminded me of a soccer game I saw when a player made a goal with his heel. Good save!

When I left California on April 2, Doctor Slater gave me a six month prescriptiowith directions to get an exam in six months. I waited for MedCo to send the meds, and was told they would all arrive by March 25. They didn’t. They also didn’t arrive on the 26th or 27th. Then when I called again, someone from MedCo told me  part of the order would be there on the 28th and that the rest would be at my apartment by the 29th. A partial order did arrive; the rest of the order did not. I would clear out my apartment on the 31st, and that would be my last day there. My son went by to make one last check. I left the U.S. on April 2nd, without the last package of medicine.

Some medicine was forwarded to another sons’ house afterwards. The company was made aware of the fact I would be leaving and needed the meds before I left. I think it may well be worth paying a bit more to a local pharmacy so not to depend on a corporation that does not pay attention to the individual.

Other than this glitch, everything is great here in Dublin. I planned that the first few days here would be to take care of business. I also had some cards printed out with my blog address, email and name of book, “Too Close to the Sun” a Dutch boy becomes a man during WWII, and when I gave the order to the printer he agreed they’d be ready by 4 p.m. It was 2 p.m. so I went to a movie. I asked the movie ticket person where she could put me for two hours, and she gave me a ticket to Chernobyl Diaries. Not a fan of horror tales, this one was okay.



7 Responses to St. James Hospital emergency room

  1. You scared me there for a minute. Glad you’re o.k. Looks like you are having so much fun, even if it is noisy in the hostel.

  2. So glad it was not a medical emergency…

  3. Laureen, like the others, I was concerned when I read the title of this entry. I’m so glad you are OK.

    I’m curious about how this trip to the hospital payment was handled, from the standpoint of how healthcare works in other countries. I’m guessing you didn’t pay for anything?

    Still enjoying this trip with you!

    Anna Mae

    • Good question Anna Mae, but your guess was wrong. If I would need to see the doctor it would cost 100 Euro’s, that’s a bit more than a $100. And of course I had to see the doctor so I paid. Otherwise, if I had just rec’d the prescription it would have been free.
      A note said I’d have seven days to pay it. Don’t think it didn’t occur to me to just not be around for seven days, which I will
      not be. But that would not be an honest thing to do, so I paid it.

      I’m leaving the hostel tomorrow morning. Yea!!!!!

  4. Hey There Expatlaureen,
    Interesting Thoughts, He is an Emergency Physician at El Camin Hospital
    Great Job!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *